Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Monday 13 February 2012

Winter Gear, Winter sounds and a special Happy Birthday !


Now that we've gotten over the Christmas period and New Year celebrations - its been a bit dull and miserable here in the UK- nothing but rain, winds and in some areas snow! Its the time of year where everyone heads to work in the dark, and cant wait to get home and cosy up on the sofa in the warmth.

For me its been an adventure! Naturally the cold finds me wearing a winter hat - but what i chore - great idea but a bit fiddly to wear over the CI ( cochlear implant) so its been a bit of a pest - its OK when I adjust it through my woolly hat - but as soon as i take it of i have to be careful otherwise it just comes off ha ha! Suspect your wondering - 'Can i hear through  the hat ?', 'yes i can - its good' and 'What happens when it rains?', - 'simple i wear a hood or a hat !!'



 Mind you Ive worn my processor in the rain and had no problems even when it gets slightly wet - i just make sure i put it in my dry box to be dried out and Hey Presto its cool .. thankful we've been given such a device from Neurelec - it came with  the package !

My only gripe is wearing a scarf it tends to pull it off when i turn my head so I've over come it by tucking the scarf in to my clothes ha ha and under my coat - .. Its a case of experimenting i suppose..

Another question 'In the wind does it pull CI off and catch up the wire?' - 'not really but the little mic can come of when I'm quite active in it - so again i make sure i wear a hat or a headband'.. see anythings possible i suppose.. 

I also make sure I'm wearing a kitten hair clip at the back to clip the wire on - i know - its not really ideal for the men - but hey it works .. something i guess that needs to be recommended to Neurelec later - but once again I've heard they still in the process of making it wireless to the little mic to who knows we may get lucky in the near future - woo hoo .. its amazing how far technology has come already.


The winter listening

Was in the car the other day going  to my doctors surgery to collect my prescription and it began to rain - i looked at my husband and said is that rain i could hear it touching the car - almost like a bed of nails - wow .. i couldn't believe how noisy it was!



Could also hear the wind as well -it did feel weird as it blew onto through my ears - what a lovely feeling - Ive always worn hearing aids, never quite been able to  experience it through my ears. It used to be a horrible rustle when i had my moderate -severe hearing loss as a child and i couldn't bear being in it -I'll never forget the numerous times i took it off and put it in my pocket on windy days- but the CI had the ability to help me enjoy it - yes its noisy but it wasn't unbearable.



The falling of sleet - this was new to me as well as I heard it falling by the office window at work - it was almost sharper and defined - mind you hearing that made me glad i wasn't out in it!




This winter sound discovery has actually helped me see the definition of the type of sounds around us - its almost like they are individuals with personality's, abilities and character all combined into one.. strange as it may sound to me - its given me more meaning to the nature of the noises we have that live in our world.



Sadly with hearing aids although i heard sounds i never was able to see this.

Still getting some interference at times thou - a slight buzz/crackle but Roberta assured me that an appointment was made to see her again soon for another adjustment - i guess it just takes time.


Another appointment at SOECIC -14th Jan-12

Roberta my audiologist had arranged another appointment for me to see the Neurelec Representative  - she felt that with  the Reps expertise he may be able to help adjust something further for me. From my understanding she was still learning how to make adjustments which could prove tricky at times - the mapping itself was straight forward but there were alot of things to tweak.

Bradford the Rep decided to do the session with me - he also consulted with Roberta over several things and ideas to help me - it was most kind of them to do this and was a lenghty session - but the adjustments made were good..

Sad news

 My left ear which is the ear I'm mostly struggling with is still not working as well as it should and the buzz crackle i get - is possibly neural as in the nerves aren't quite responding well- there is a way to test the implant is functioning and this was checked - all was showing OK - Roberta and Bradford advised me  its a time factor and although i was sad about this - they were really kind and i tried to be positive as i still felt the improvement I've made to date has all been good- i keep telling myself this- its been a bonus I've been able to hear as much as i have done and also you cant repair nerves that are damaged and not repairable can you ? so I've decided to take each day as it comes - and pray and hope that it will subside - mean while lots of positive thoughts... and the good news is Bradford and Roberta will keep a close eye on me .. I can honestly say i cant ask for a better care and service -its due to dedication of people like them who help us get through these moments. Say a prayer for me - who knows it may come true!


SOECIC 21st Birthday Party

A few weeks later i was invited to attend SOECIC ( South of England Cochlear Implant Centre) 21st bday party - they had been implanting CIs since 1991 ! It was a truely a great milestone  for them and us, an enjoyable day especially as i bumped into two very old deaf school pals who too had been implanted and also an old school teacher - that made my day most of all. There were lots of activities to do for the children - face painting, drawing, demonstrations of sounds from the University Vibration and Sound Department who also work alongside the CI centre. We also had the press there as well so some of it was filmed. Me and my husband Garry got filmed and ended up in it for a split second - ha ha!


Finally id like to end this on a positive note by wishing SOECIC a truely Happy Birthday - they should be proud of what they have achieved - a special thank you to all who organised this event and also to the staff who are dedicated to each one of us who attend the centre - without this help and support people like me wouldn't be where we are now - listening to sounds through our ears, again in an unique way !






No comments: