Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Thursday 23 June 2011

The Implant Part One

From the very start we were all shown the variety of  implants - they were quite small and light comparison to how i thought they would be - a  small magnet was embedded into silicon - very smart and sleek- a wire attached ended up curly and is inserted into the cochlear part of your ear- looked soo delicate and smart as you could see some of the tiny electrodes - which i assume stimulate my ear to help me hear sound.

There were 3 devices shown - we had a good nose at each one and were able pratice them on each others ears- handy guidelines and technical info were handed out showing how they all work. We also were not pressurized onto a particular device -what fasinated me was that some of them could be controlled by  a remote control, or had the adaptions for leads so i could plug in to a i pod! tv etc  - amazing stuff!.For a look at one of these devices check out this link its shows you the cochlear device aka Nucleus 5 http://www.cochlear.com/uk/node/4917

This one however is a single one for one ear - my second choice, but after much consideration my surgeon, audiologist and hearing therapist said i would also be suitable for a double so i chose the Neurelec - a double implant - and a very new device to the UK. Ive included a link for this below:http://www.neurelec.com/trouver_imppro.php?pdt=80&id=stereo&expandable=0c
 I know i m repeating myself but AMAZING STUFF EH? well i thought so - haha! If you scroll down the bottom the last picture shows a diagram of how the second wire lies under your scalp.A special thank you to Geoff Hutton you has given me a copy of his Xrays that show his head after his operation which was recently- I wish  him well and thank you him for his experiences- (by the way any requests for autographs will have to come via me - as i'll gladly be his agent ha- ha!)


XRAY TO BE PLACED SOON WHEN I WORK OUT TO REFORMAT WORD DOC lool

No comments: