Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Monday 27 June 2011

Making friends with neurelec CI users

On my very first day i met some people who were going through all the same deafie frustrations which i did  - I found this so valuable and I thank SOCIEC for this  -  it really helped me. I also met Tayseer she was such a lovely natured gifted lady - shes studying architecture at university and was struggling with one of her ears. I was able to keep in touch - She was having a single implant. I was interested  to know how she was getting on. i wish her well and hope that she benefits from it as im sure she will embark highly in her career once graduated. Shes encouraged me alot and been very kind to me when ive felt down in the dumps abt my deafness so I am thankful shes been in my life.

I also made friends with another lady Margaret - she was a older than me but her deafness deteriorated very quickly later in life,  understandably she didn't have lipreading skills so i communicated via pen and pad during our sessions - she made me smile when she explained when her husband and her argue it starts in CAPITALS which got bigger and bigger the row became- ha ha. We kept updated by sms text. It was fab - she had a good sense of humour alike me and after having her operation in Southampton - for which she was hospitalised for 4 days! We arranged to meet up with her and her husband. We met on a gorgeous day  and i being nosey wanted to observe her scars under her scarf - it was really kind of her to allow me this priveledge. I must say i was very impressed the shaving was kept to bear minimal - and Mr pringle had done the most perfect sutures ive ever seen! The shaving on top of her head was tiny and the size of a finger tip - amazing stuff. Her only gripe was that she struggled to wear her glasses but otherwise the pain was ok -and encouraged me by saying 'if i can do it you certainly can!' She also mentioned a numbness in her tasting buds but otherwise she looked healthy and was excited abt her switch on. A few weeks later i received a text saying all was ok and her activation had been gd but everything sounded like MARS - very high pitched and on helium ha ha so im sure i will meet her soon once shes settled into rehabilitation

We made a pact that we would meet up after Margaret has been activated - so she could hear our voices as she hadn't heard us before - so I shall keep you updated when we meet up soon.

I look back on everything today and think how blessed I am to have made these friends and also made some new friends - Cherry - and Geoff along the way - they too are neurelec CI wearers.

PS i know i go on abt hair - but you have to be a female to understand, Margaret did advise me to have mine cut shorter - but  I love my long hair ! Im sure it will be ok - and will have a conversation with my consultant abt it - but like my husband says it will grow back !!( I think i need some Grass seed quick !)

5 comments:

Tracy Rance Bradic said...

I'll make you a wig to cover the missing bits of hair Lisa! You will be fine, don't worry. Thanks again for taking the trouble to write your blog. You are an inspiration too. xxx

Unknown said...

thank you tracy your comments mean the world to me - i think i shall request a purple wig hahah!xx

Unknown said...

hmm had an idea - clip on hair extensions? anyone know abt them?

SarahA said...

As you have gained from others, so many are going to gain much from reading your words LisaB. Know that!
Hair grows! And when shaved, it grows back thicker!Just keep watering it!

Unknown said...

lool maybe i should make myself a survival kit after operation a watering can and a bag of grass seeds!! lool . and sarah thank you for your words of wisdom - i want to share and touch people so they too do not feel alone, which is what i have suffered since my deteriation - if it adds comfort and support then i will open my arms and reach out to them as im sure i have a mission in life - just havent quite accomplished it yet. our lives are to be cherished but we need to know how to blossom it. xxx