Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Saturday 18 June 2011

My first visit to the South of Englands Cochlear Implant Centre


I received a letter in November 10 that my funding had been allocated for a series of tests at Southampton's CI centre and they required me to attend in Dec 2010, based on the Southampton university campus - we were running late and got lost! but thanks to some friendly students i found my way and as i huffed and puffed into the reception we were all ushered to a conference room, the first words the hearing therapist said ' Welcome to SOECIC(South of England's Cochlear Implant Centre) - you've all managed to get here and find us - which is great and a huge start, as we know how difficult it can be to find us!'. I'm sure most of you are aware you have been referred to us to see if you are suitable for a C.I. ....', at this point i realised when i looked at everybody a pleasant surprise - it really was a  beginning and most importantly - i wasn't alone - they would be going through the same journey i was about to encounter.


We were allowed to see and feel the CI device during this session which I've never seen one properly before so it was great and i was amazed how so tiny and light they were - my mind also became very fixated with the new NEURELEC implant - this was the one that i had indeed read in the paper and I was being shown how it looked.
To end this session we were all given a pack of literature and information to read for homework-and if your anything like me - most deafies like to know everything ! and reading is a good way to do it!
  


The Tests
Over the period of the next few weeks i had a series of appointments and  tests to go through




To start with I had a discussion with a Hearing Therapists and  Speech Therapist who wanted to know all abt me - my deafness, my life and how it impacted me. She duly took down notes with  the help of my interpreter. I use speech at all times but ever since my deterioration i was struggling to lipread - so i taught myself to understand and sign British Sign Language. ( thankfully i had some knowledge).This helped me tremendously as i was getting so tired - the most a deaf person can lipread is 10 minutes with 80 percent guesswork. This was most helpful and made communication for me much more easier - i also didn't have to rely on my husband - it gave him a nice break!

I began a series of hearing tests after this stage - I'm not going to go on abt them all as each centre does them probably differently - but i do know i was absolutely shattered as mine were block booked into all day slots - I'm in paid employment which suited me.

Ive included a link of the type of tests i underwent for your interest : http://www.royalfree.org.uk/default.aspx?top_nav_id=1&sel_left_nav=25&tab_id=286

Some of the stages were intensive and repetitive but at each stage i was talked through it and reassured. I had to have a days rest after my all day assessments so if you do work and have blocked all days slots like me  - it may be wise to take a days rest afterwards - i was absolutely shattered!

My memories: doing a lipreading test - which involved watching a computer screen of a man - he was able to speak lots of sentences once activated . I was asked to repeat what i thought i heard even if it sounded like a mumble. To begin with i was wearing hearing aids and ended up interrupting with  fits of laughter doing a few 'mmm's and 'arrr's which of didn't make any sense all !.I repeated this process without my hearing aids and my husband accompanied me - he actually was amazed at what i did and didn't hear - it was a good experience for him - the interpreter even admitted she too had difficulty too understanding the man on screen when they switched the sound off ( they weren't allowed to show any expressions or tell me ) - I was scored on this test and i came out very poorly.

I also know i shocked my husband further when doing one of the hearing field tests without both hearing aids - one of the frequency's were so high - he was wearing ear defenders and the sound blasted his delicate ears- i nearly fell of his chair! Poor bloke! - I think i terrified him as afterwards he sat in with the audiologist - who kindly explained every level i was listening at. I was afterwards quite pleased I did these tests - i don't think i really fully admitted and realised how bad my loss had become - no one had found the time before to explain my deafness to me properly - so SOECIC were really fantastic with this.

I met some people who were having the tests with me -some of whom i was able to swap numbers and emails with and  SOCIEC arranged a session for me to meet some CI wearers - this experience was interesting - my mother attended with me as my husband was unable to attend this time and she and I bombarded them with questions - it really did help me and gave me confidence to think abt the the type of things /advice and information  they gave us.



MRI/CAT SCAN
Once these results were gathered together the audiologist then proceeded to book me in for a CAT and MRI scan - Ive never had one of these before so i was a little apprehensive what to expect - it was ok but you were strapped in so - i just closed my eyes and thought of something nice whilst the machine was whirling around my head. I think i was more worried abt my results - as no one really ever concluded properly how and why i was deaf. To date they said it was congenital but i was interested to see if i had any deformities.  A few weeks later Mr Pringle my consultant confirmed that all was ok( relief!) and i was suitable for a implant - one of my concerns was that i suffer with reoccurring infections in my right ear, he reassured me that having a CI would mean i wouldn't have to wear an ear mould and my ear would probably feel much better - he would then refer my case to a panel of SOCIEC's professions.

Vaccination

It was also advised that as the operation procedure was so close to my brain there could be a very small risk i could get meningitis's so as a precaution they ensured every candidate was vaccinated. I was actually written to quite promptly by my GP advising me to attend for my vaccination - but at this point the surgery made a mistake and administered the wrong strand of meningitis so i had to go back and have the correct jab! But it was all fine in the end- i had a bit of a sore arm and temperature but otherwise there was nothing to worry about.

Although it was really an intensive couple of weeks, and a lot of information to take it - i found myself wanting to be part of this CI world. Best of all instead of being sad abt being deaf I was actually excited that i had been given this opportunity. 

No comments: